Last updated: September 1, 2022
When we refer to “Ariat” or “we”, “us” or “our” we mean either Ariat, International, Inc. or the relevant Ariat group company which provides you with our services and mobile and web-based applications (namely, Ariat Europe, Ltd.)
This Privacy Notice only applies to personal information that we collect from you, including gathered through our website at https://www.ariat.com/ (“Website”).
1. What does Ariat do?
Ariat is a manufacturer and retailer of footwear, apparel, and accessories, headquartered in the United States but with group companies worldwide.
2. What personal information does Ariat collect and why?
The personal information that we collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Information that you provide voluntarily
Certain parts of our Website ask you to provide personal information voluntarily: for example, we ask you to provide your contact details (including your name, address and e-mail address) and billing details in order to register an account with us, to process and fulfil your orders, to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and/or to submit enquiries to us. We use this information to create and administer your account, send you marketing communications, provide you with the products you purchase, and to respond to your enquiries.
You can unsubscribe from our marketing emails by clicking “Unsubscribe” at the bottom of the email or by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact Us” heading below.
The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Website, we collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including the United Kingdom and countries in the European Economic Area (EEA), this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically include information such as your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location) and other technical information. We also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Website, where they come from, and what content on our Website is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Website to our visitors.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology” below.
Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we receive personal information about you from third party sources (including event vendors or promotional partners) but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
The types of information we collect from third parties include your name and email address and we use the information we receive from these third parties to: 1) notify you of contest results, 2) to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and 3) to submit enquiries or product feedback to us.
3. Who does Ariat share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to our authorized distributors and/or shipping partners to process and deliver your order.
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Also, Ariat may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personal information.
Your personal data is shared with Experian Ltd for the purposes of managing a service called Club Canvasse, a home shopping and direct retailer data co-operative of which Ariat Europe Limited are members. By sharing information on what customers buy and pooling that with contributions from other members of the co-operative, the service allows Ariat Europe Limited to better understand our customers and to communicate with you more effectively. Please note, your personal information is not shared with any of the other members of the co-operative, and only aggregated data on the number and value of purchases is provided to members e.g. we will receive a report which states how many customers who have bought from us in the last 0-12mths, and who have also bought from other members of the co-operative in the last 0-12mths, or the last 24mths, last 36mths etc. To understand more please click through to Experian’s website to understand more about their marketing services.
4. Legal basis for processing personal information (EEA and UK visitors only)
If you are a visitor from the UK or EEA, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. We set out the relevant legal basis for each activity in the table below:
|Setting up your account||To enable you to use our website and purchase products.||We have a legitimate interest in setting up customers on our system.|
|Payment processing||So that we can receive payment for the products you order or to give refunds where you have returned goods and are eligible.||Necessary for the performance of our contract with you.|
|Recording our financial transactions with you||To track what you have paid for and meet obligations in respect of tax etc.||Necessary to meet legal obligations we are subject to.|
|Processing and fulfilling orders||To select the products, you have ordered and ensure that they are delivered to you.||Necessary for the performance of our contract with you.|
|Providing information about our services||To keep you informed about the services we provide, including updates regarding placed orders.||We have a legitimate interest in ensuring you are kept up to date about our services and the progress of your orders.|
|Sending direct marketing messages||Sending you information and promotions about products that are similar to those you have previously purchased from us.||We send these because we think you may be interested, and we have a legitimate interest in promoting these products. We will always provide you with an opportunity to opt out of future messages.|
|Providing you with information about other products or offers we think you may be interested in.||Where we want to send you promotional messages that are not similar to anything you’ve bought from us before, we will only do so with your consent.|
|Customer service||Dealing with enquiries or complaints that you may have or obtaining feedback on our products and service.||We have a legitimate interest in ensuring our customers are happy.|
|Analytics and market research||To monitor and improve our product offering and the usability of our website.||We have a legitimate interest in undertaking these activities.|
|Protecting the security of our systems||To monitor usage and account logins in order to detect unauthorised and malicious use of the system, including in relation to user accounts.||We have a legitimate interest in protecting our systems and our users’ accounts.|
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contact with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
5. Cookies and similar tracking technology
6. How does Ariat keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical safeguards to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include the use of a secure server. Ariat uses secure server software (called SSL) that encrypts any information you input before it is even sent to us. Furthermore, all the customer data we collect is protected against unauthorized access. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; keep this in mind when disclosing any sensitive information to us.
7. International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, our Website servers are located in the United States, and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information, we may process it in any of these countries.
You can request a copy of the Transfer Contract we have implemented to transfer your personal information from the EEA or UK using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below. The version you receive may involve redactions to protect confidential and/or commercially sensitive information.
8. Data retention
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to fulfil your orders or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
9. Your data protection rights (EEA and UK visitors only)
Visitors from the EEA and UK have the following data protection rights:
- access: you can ask us for copies of the personal information we currently hold about you;
- rectification: you can request that we rectify information that you think is inaccurate or ask us to complete information that you think is incomplete;
- erasure: you can ask us to erase your personal information in certain situations;
- restriction: you may request that we restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances;
- portability: you can ask us to provide you with a machine-readable copy of information you have provided to us or ask us to transfer that information to another service provider;
- objection: you can object to our processing of your personal information where we have determined that it is in our legitimate interests to do so, and we will consider your objection by balancing your competing interests, rights and freedoms against those interests – if we accept your objection, we will restrict our use of that data or delete it;
- direct marketing opt-out: You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out&rdquo link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us&rdquo heading below;
- withdrawal of consent: if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal;
- complaint: You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA, UK, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
You can make a request to exercise any of these rights by filling out this form or using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below. We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. However, there are certain limitations and exceptions from these rights that may result in us declining to cooperate with or only partial complying with your request. For example, you may request that we erase certain information that we need to retain in order to comply with a legal requirement such as accounting rules.
Ariat is concerned about the privacy and safety of children when they use the Internet Website and its content are directed to people who are at least 16 years of age or older. If you are under the age of 16, you may not use this Website unless you have the consent of, and are supervised by, a parent or guardian.
11. California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have certain rights with respect to your personal information. For further information on your rights and how you may exercise them, please click here.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us using the following details:
The data controller of Ariat EEA and UK residents' personal information is Ariat Europe Ltd which is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number