When we refer to “Ariat” or “we”, “us” or “our”, we mean either Ariat, International, Inc. or the relevant Ariat group company which provides you with our services and mobile and web-based applications (namely, Ariat Europe, Ltd.)
This Privacy Notice only applies to personal information that we collect through our website at http://www.ariat.com (“Website”).
What does Ariat do?
Ariat is a manufacturer and retailer of footwear, apparel, and accessories, headquartered in the United States but with group companies worldwide.
What personal information does Ariat collect and why?
The personal information that we collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Information that you provide voluntarily
Certain parts of our Website ask you to provide personal information voluntarily: for example, we ask you to provide your contact details (including your name, address and e-mail address) and billing details in order to register an account with us, to process and fulfil your orders, to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and/or to submit enquiries to us. We use this information to create and administer your account, send you marketing communications, provide you with the products you purchase, and to respond to our enquiries.
You can unsubscribe from our marketing emails by clicking “Unsubscribe” at the bottom of the email or by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “Contact Us” heading below.
If you have signed up to bag reminder emails, these are sent on our behalf by a third party service provider, and you can unsubscribe by clicking “Unsubscribe from bag reminder emails” at the bottom of those emails.
The personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point we ask you to provide your personal information.
Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Website, we collect certain information automatically from your device. In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area (EEA), this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically include information such as your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Website, where they come from, and what content on our Website is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Website to our visitors.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further under the heading “Cookies and similar tracking technology” below.
Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we receive personal information about you from third party sources (including event vendors or promotional partners) but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
The types of information we collect from third parties include your name and email address and we use the information we receive from these third parties to: 1) notify you of contest results, 2) to subscribe to marketing communications from us, and 3) to submit enquiries or product feedback to us.
Who does Ariat share my personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to our authorized distributors and/or shipping partners to process and deliver your order.
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Also, Ariat may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns, and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personal information
Legal basis for processing personal information (EEA visitors only)
If you are a visitor from the EEA, our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contact with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
Cookies and similar tracking technology
How does Ariat keep my personal information secure?
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information. Specific measures we use include the use of a secure server. Ariat uses secure server software (called SSL) that encrypts any information you input before it is even sent to us. Furthermore, all the customer data we collect is protected against unauthorized access. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure.
International data transfers
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, our Website servers are located in the United States, and our group companies and third party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
Our Standard Contractual Clauses can be provided on request. We have implemented similar appropriate safeguards with our third party service providers and partners, and further details can be provided upon request by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to fulfil your orders or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
Your data protection rights (EEA visitors only)
Effective May 25, 2018, visitors from the EEA have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below. Please note that we cannot remove certain data when there is a legal storage requirement, such as accounting rules or when there are other legitimate grounds to keep the data, such as unsettled debts.
- In addition, if you are a resident of the EEA, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please contact us using the contact details provided under the “How to contact us” heading below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Ariat is concerned about the privacy and safety of children when they use the Internet Website and its content are directed to people who are at least 16 years of age or older. If you are under the age of 16, you may not use this Website unless you have the consent of, and are supervised by, a parent or guardian.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us using the following details:
UK and EU Residents:
The data controller of Ariat EEA residents' personal information is Ariat Europe Ltd which is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office with registration number ZA109684.