Anne-Marie Perry (GBR)
Discipline - Dressage
Hometown - Elwick, Hartlepool
Number of years riding - I can”t ever remember not riding, Mum says I was quieter on a pony than in a pram!
Main career accomplishments to date:
- 2014 - Winner of Intermediate II class at Myerscough Premier League with Feine Dame.
- 2013 - Winner of three classes at Myerscough Premier league on two horses, Chiara and Feine Dame, all in one day!
- 2008 - Competed at Hickstead International CDI winning the entire Young Rider Tour with Aristo.
- 2006 - Competed in the Young Rider section at the European Championships and returned home as Best British Rider with World Classic.
- 2005 - Represented Great Britain on many occasions and at the European Championships as a junior rider.
- 2004 - Represented Great Britain successfully on several occasions including competing in Roosendaal and Limburg in Holland, Addington in England and as part of the Junior European team in Denmark with Forrest Fire and was the Best British Rider.
Tell us about your first horse/pony
My first pony was called Bobby Doughnut. He was a skewbald Shetland with a very short temper with everyone except me! Apparently I was so determined to get on him by myself once, that I tried to climb up his leg to reach the stirrup! We had so much fun growing up together and later on, regularly had “real life buckaroo” competitions where we would see how many of us could get on him before he decided he had had enough, and buck us all off!!
How did you get started in your discipline?
I started out with a very diverse range of ponies from jumping to mounted games and pony club ponies and was always quite successful, but rarely won any competitions. When mum went to an affiliated dressage competition she was competing at with her ex-racehorse (which flatly refused to jump anymore!) she took me along with my Welsh Section D, Maeseyfron Rhett, so I could have a go as well. We promptly won our two classes and qualified for the Regional Championships. I thought “I like this dressage lark!” and never looked back from there!
Mentor/idol when growing up?
When growing up I was madly in love with Duncan from the boy band Blue!
Proudest career moment?
This has to be winning the Intermediate II this year (2014) at Myerscough Premier league with Feine Dame. I have spent 8 years training her to Grand Prix level and to have her win a big class in her first season at the level was incredible!
Why do you ride?
I love my horses!
If you weren”t a professional rider, what would you be?
I always thought I would like to be an RAF pilot, though I”m not sure how that would have worked out as I”m not too keen on heights!
Favourite holiday destination?
Has to be anywhere in the Lake District. Its only two hours” drive for us and to have such beauty on our doorstep is incredible.
How do you unwind?
I like to take our two dogs for a walk with my fiancé, Phil.
Do you have a good luck charm, and if so, what is it?
My good luck charm is a bright pink diamante brow band that Forrest Fire was wearing when we won our first championship title. It goes everywhere with us and is hung up in the living area in our lorry.
Favourite Ariat product?
Definitely the Ariat Volant tall boots - I ride in them every day and they are so comfortable, look seriously smart and my legs never get too hot in them! I also couldn”t live without the Coniston Boot, as they are brilliant for keeping my feet warm whilst teaching!