Event in which you compete: Three Day Eventing
Hometown: Templeton, CA, USA
Number of years riding: 30 Years
Career accomplishments to date:
- • Individual Silver Medal, Eventing, 2008 Olympics
- • Team Gold Medal and Individual Bronze, Eventing 2007 Pan American Games
- • Bronze Medal 2003 World Cup Final
- • 2006, 2007, 2008 USEA Advanced Horse of the Year
- • 2006 USEA Gold Cup Champion
- • 2006 USET Fall Champion
- • 2008 Chronicle of the Horse Overall, Eventing Horse of the Year, and Eventing Horsemen of the Year
How you got started in your event: When I was 10, I watched Cross Country at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles.
Favorite Ariat product: Pro Circuit breeches and paddock boots got me hooked on Ariat products more than 15 years ago
Proudest career moment: Standing on the podium at the 2008 Olympic Games
Tell us about your first horse: Lily, a pony my Dad purchased at a Boy’s club auction for $170 when I was 11. She was old and scruffy and only knew Western but I taught her to jump and do dressage even though I didn’t have a saddle or a bridle at first.
You ride because: The connection you feel with the horse. You connect and communicate in a language that is not spoken but felt.
If you weren’t a professional rider, you would be a: A Lawyer or a Doctor
Favorite mentor or idol growing up: Virginia Leng
Favorite place to travel: Hawaii
Name one fun fact that people don’t know about you: I have an annual pass to Disneyland, and my dream came true after the Olympics when I got to go to Club 33 there.
Favorite way to unwind outside the barn: Go to the movies with my kids.
Good luck charm: I believe you make your own luck.