Event in which you compete: Eventing
Hometown: Cochranville, PA via Sydney, Australia
Number of years riding: Since age 13
Career accomplishments to date:
- 1st, Adelaide CCI4* on True Blue Toozac
- 7th place on Remington XXV, 2010 Pau CCI4*
- 10th place individually at 2010 WEG on Neville Bardos (KY, USA)
- 1st, 2010 Fair Hill International CCI3* USEF National Championship riding Neville Bardos
- 7th place on Neville Bardos, 2011 Burghley CCI4* (England)
- 1st, 2011 Fair Hill International CCI3* USEF National Championship riding Ying Yang Yo
- 3rd place at 2012 Rolex Kentucky Three-Day Event with Otis Barbotiere (and 8th on Remington XXV)
- Member of 2012 US Olympic Eventing Team on Otis Barbotiere
How you got started in your event: In Australia due to all the other lads in my town participating in the local Pony Club. Cross Country involved galloping relatively untrained ponies at high speeds over fixed obstacles, which I loved. My sister Brooke was also into riding.
Favorite Ariat product: The Pro Circuit Breeches are not only are they the most stylish menswear breeches in the jumping ring, they are super comfortable and the technical fabric keeps me cool and wicks sweat away to keep me feeling my best.
Proudest career moment: Representing the United States at the WEG and the Olympic Games
Tell us about your first horse: A pony named Willy, show name “Willy Do It”. In my first competition I fell off twice on cross-country and once in show jumping to finish on a score of 384. We could only go up from there!
You ride because: Horses have enabled me to go places beyond my wildest dreams. Riding has also provided me with a career in which I work hard every single day of the year training horses and I love every second of it.
If you weren’t a professional rider, you would be a: Professional Gambler
Favorite mentor or idol growing up: Heath Ryan. This borderline insane horse fanatic from Australia drew me to horses the moment I met him and from the age of 17 I lived in the bunkhouse at New South Wales Equestrian Center where I worked for Heath as a working pupil. Every day I watched him train his horses and I became more and more intrigued with the art of becoming a great horseman.
Favorite place to travel: Las Vegas
Name one fun fact that people don’t know about you: Extremely proud cat lover
Favorite way to unwind outside the barn: Watching my favorite TV show, “Cops”.
Good luck charm: My wife Silva (and my secret weapon in dressage)