Name: John French
- Why did you choose your discipline and what do you love most about it?
I think the reason I chose the hunters is because I have sort of a quiet personality which suits the hunters. I also am sort of a perfectionist, so I like the fact that you need to be very accurate.
I love looking for that next top hunter. The process of finding a young hunter and making it into a big winner, or a great horse that goes on to do big things in the sport is what I love to do the most.
- What are some of your favorite exercises you do at home to get ready for a horse show?
For horses that show a lot I just try to keep them fit and happy, therefore I don’t jump them a lot between shows. The horses that are just getting ready to start showing, I work on their rideability with flatwork and maybe jump a little 2-3 times a week- where one day will just be some sort of gymnastics.
- What activities do you do outside of riding to stay fit?
When I was younger, I did gymnastics and diving, but now I really only have time for horses and looking for horses
- What is your advice for a rider just starting out in the sport?
You can learn so much from watching top riders. I have always been a visual learner, so I would spend all day at a show watching classes I wasn’t even in just to learn. I believe you can learn something from everybody, and you can never stop learning.
- Best advice you’ve ever received
You are never going to make everyone happy, so figure out what makes you happy, and it will make life so much easier.